Monday, August 31, 2009

The Laborers are Few

About a year ago I became engaged in a ministry to the needy in our community. My commitment was not without opposition. No, I didn't sense any persecution for the outside. No one hurled insults at me. No one laughed at me. No one threw stones at me. The resistance occurred inside my own heart. God was calling me to do something, and I simply wasn't interested. Now that my kids were all in school, wasn't my time my own to do as I pleased? But God was urging me to rearrange my schedule and carve out a few hours a week to help those less fortunate than myself. At first I only went to appease my conscience. I'd put in my two hours, fill out my time card, and be on my way, relieved that it was over with - at least until next week. But as God called me to return, week after week, month after month, I began to feel more comfortable going. Over time, I found myself looking forward to fellowshipping with the men and women who worked there regularly, both paid and volunteer. Each one had a deep desire to serve "the least of these" and be the hands and feet of Jesus. Over time, my love and respect for them grew as I stayed long enough to eat with them, where I'd hear them speak their heart for God around the lunch table. Now, nearly 12 months later, I love this ministry, and it is one of my great joys to introduce new people to this ministry. This summer my girls and their friends and I had a blast together sweeping floors, sorting shoes, displaying bread and other foods, hanging clothes, and bagging small toys.

Are you a seasoned veteran minister? If not, I agree that ministry can be frightening, especially if you are considering it for the first time. The unknown stares you in the face and you feel intimidated. But, just like nameless strangers, once you get to know them, and spend time with them, they have the potential of becoming friends, and sometimes very good friends.

Perhaps God is calling you to do something outside your comfort zone or area of expertise. To be fearful is natural, human. But the believer has a higher calling. Before taking the Promised Land, Joshua told the children of Israel, "Be strong and courageous. Do not fear...for God is with you wherever you go."

Sometimes your enthusiasm level will remain high for a time, but most people experience a kind of let down in ministry. Many prayer groups are made up of 2-10 people. Have you noticed that often a women's Bible Study starts out with 20 or 30, only to gather 5 or so, by the end? Indeed, narrow is the path, and there are few who remain till the end. These statistics used to discourage me. When I felt called to be a part of the Moms in Touch prayer groups at my children's school, I'd despair over the fact that only 2-3 would come to pray. Had not more mothers also heard God's loud invitation to come intercede together on behalf of their children? But it occurred to me that, just as in every aspect of church life - in the leading of worship, teaching children, giving, going to the mission field, or hosting a home group - God calls all of us to different things at different seasons in our lives. And often He calls only a few in the early stages. We cannot be critical or judgmental or even discouraged if others are not burdened with the ministry God has given us. At first I thought I maybe ought to go out and pound the pavement and get some more recruits. But as Sonya and Patty and I prayed, week after week, I discovered that small was good. And God showed me that my only responsibility was to let it be known where and when the group met. According to scripture, it's God's job to bring in more workers. As you recall, Jesus said, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few." He did not say, "Go get more workers;entice them to sign up." Instead, He urged us to, "pray that the Lord of the harvest will send out workers into His field." As we pray this way we declare our belief in our Sovereign God. For, at the right time, God will raise up the needed workers.

My own experience of praying and waiting has often seemed long and tedious. But not having explosive growth at the outset of a ministry can also be a blessing. It develops character and commitment when you are the only one, or just one of a handful. It develops trust in God and not in numbers. It develops humility when your enthusiasm or giftedness are not what God uses to draw the crowd.

The next time you throw yourself into ministry and only a few show up, take heart! The Lord is there when just two or three are gathered in His name. Ministry is draining because we are dealing with many factors designed to bring us to the end of ourselves. People are unpredictable. Some are more faithful than others. You can invest time in someone who could potentially betray you or disappoint you. The enemy wants you to become tired and discouraged.

Remember the prophet Elijah? He was the greatest man of faith for his time, but he ran from king Ahab and was preparing to die, even after just witnessing one of God's greatest displays of power as fire came down from heaven and quenched water - soaked logs. And when Elijah despaired, thinking he alone was left to serve the true God, God gently reminded him that he had kept for himself 7000 men who had not bowed the knee to Baal.

So what is God's prescription for the tired, the discouraged, the unrewarded, the lonely in ministry?

Wait.

He assures us that in due time we SHALL reap, if we do not grow weary. It is only those who give up who do not experience what the Lord will "finally bring about". Do we put down and refuse to finish reading an award-winning thriller because there are problems for the heroine in the middle of the book? Do we walk out of a highly rated movie and not stay till the end, just because the main character appears to be in impossible danger? Usually we trust the script writer to finish the story well. How much more our great God who sees the end and assures us of His victory! So wait, yes. But don't sit. Do the work, like the farmer does. He can't command the harvest season to come. But he hovers over his crops and does what he can - plowing, planting, watering, fertilizing, keeping the pests at bay, weeding, and even crying out to God. And when the harvest comes, look out! We will have wished we prayed for more workers to bring it in!

We are like runners in a marathon, and some of these hills are mighty steep. Yet, there will come a day when we will cross the finish line and receive a hero's welcome - a prize that will last forever. Let the sounds of that Day echo back in time toward your ears, and cheer you on as you run the race. We are MORE than conquerors thorough Him who loved us.

1 comment:

Annika Harmeling said...

Thanks so much for sharing these truths with my mom! I really needed to be reminded that God is in control and working His master plan even when I cannot see the results!