I've always been an insight junkie. I have bookshelves filled with volumes that promise easy steps for measurable change in my marriage, my parenting, and my housekeeping. I've been memorizing scripture for years that my mind might be transformed. The knowledge is there, neatly filed in the confines of my head. But if you looked at my life, you might wonder, because a lot of what I know to do simply doesn't get done.
Now it's not because I'm lazy. In fact, in the past I've been known to actually schedule every minute on my PDA. Only, it usually takes longer to check those items off my list of "things to do", or I find it just a little harder than those five easy steps I've just read about. Perhaps you are one of the kindred spirits I've met through the years who shares my struggle. We attend seminar after seminar, somehow hoping that one more insight might make the difference. That we might finally wake up with the motivation, energy, and determination to finally put into practice all we've learned. But ten years later we read an old journal entry that could have been written this morning, and find to our dismay that little has changed.
I've always believed that having knowledge was good, hearing truth was good, and acquiring information through careful study was good. But wisdom is exhibited by someone who follows through on what he or she knows to do. Proverbs 1:7 says, "Fools despise wisdom and discipline." A careful reading of Proverbs makes this evident. You can have lots of knowledge and still be a fool. Proverbs 29:8 tells us that, "A wise man turns away anger," while verse 11 reveals that, "A fool gives full vent to his anger." We all know plenty of educated and high-positioned people who lack self control of the tongue. Knowledge and IQ are no sure gauge for wisdom.
So, as this New Year began, I asked God for a new perspective on "perspective". What really makes people change? What secret plan of action will make me change? How can I get further ahead spiritually and practically for all I've taken in? Are there some keys out there that might unlock motivation? I'm praising God that He faithfully answered that prayer - with life-changing truth from His Word.
I take great joy now in sharing here with you Eight Steps for Change in 2009
#1 Learn to Fear God. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Reverence for God is the first viable step toward real wisdom. This includes recognizing that God's thoughts and ways are higher above your own than you can imagine. Fearing God involves hating sin and developing a love for righteousness. It takes sin seriously and remembers that "the Judge is standing at the door." It doesn't justify sin by simply saying, "God will forgive me," because it is the kind of fear that is mingled with a child's love for a devoted Father. Join me in 2009 by growing in the fear of God by focusing on His glory and greatness, and by "serving Him with fear and rejoicing with trembling." (Psalm 2:11) Pray with me, "Lord, I know I do not fear or reverence You as You deserve. I long for wisdom. As my Creator, Savior, and Father, you have the right to command my every thought, word, and deed." I begin today by making a commitment to think of You with reverence, and to grow in humility and respect."
#2 When you see a recurring problem in your life, where you lack wisdom, Ask God for wisdom. James 1 tells us that this is the human condition. We are born bankrupt of wisdom, just like we are born without the ability to photosynthesize our own food. We need to obtain it from a Source outside of ourselves. Join me in making this a daily prayer, "Lord, I lack wisdom. Supply me what I need. Speak to me through Your Word and the guidance of the Holy Spirit."
#3 Search for wisdom. The serious searching person looks to those godly people older and wiser from years and life experience. This person "finds out what pleases the Lord" (Ephesians 5:10). They don't simply buy the latest quick fix book. But coupling fear and prayer, they look expectantly, as if searching for their lost last coin. Proverbs 2:3-5 says that if we look for understanding as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then we will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. Join me in this desperate pursuit for something we can't really live without.
Pray with me, "Lord, I am committed to uncovering the keys that will unlock wisdom in my life. I will look for it and ask for it."
#4 Become accountable. Let a good friend know that God has convicted you about the area in need of growth, and set up a regular time to check in with them - perhaps once a week or once a month. If you are in a discipling relationship, your mentor is the natural friend to trust with the process of your growth. They can pray for you, search with you, and cheer you on. I have seen more change take place in my life when I had to report to someone else than through any other means. If you don't have someone in your life who can help you, ask God to direct you to her. God has instructed older women in the church to train the younger women in marriage, parenting, home management, personal habits,and ministry. This is natural within a family, as mom trains her daughters, but I believe that scripture clearly calls for the church to get involved in this training as well, with older, spiritually mature women challenging and encouraging those younger than they. If this is not happening in your church, ask your pastor what can be done about it. I know a host of women who are faithful listeners to Christian radio, and though they are inspired by the stars that parade across the airwaves of some of the Christian talk shows, they are also overwhelmed. I believe that God wants this training to take place primarily in homes, across the kitchen table, or with a phone call or an e mail to a real person -preferably from your local church - with whom you can have a conversation with over a cup of coffee.
What are some qualities to look for in an accountability partner? Knowledge of God and the Word, love for Jesus, humility, teachability, a servant's heart, availability, and the fruit of the Spirit. The person you come to for accountability will be a real person. She will be mature in some areas, but still growing in others. Don't expect her to have perfect children or the perfect husband. Even the best wives don't change their husbands. That's God's job. But they will respond to their husbands and children with a grace that will challenge you to greater heights.
I believe accountability needs to happen on both ends. You ought to be in the process of being trained by one woman while you are training others as well. At the same time, taking on a younger woman yourself may be the greatest motivator yet in your own spiritual journey. As those younger eyes look to you for guidance, there are certain habits that will simply have to go. As they seek your advice and your living and breathing example, you will think twice about what you say and your priorities. Join me in becoming faithful to two relationships. One that stretches you to personal maturity, and one that calls another younger woman to reach up to God as a result of your life.
#5. Learn to discern what is wisdom from the world, and what is heavenly wisdom. These days most women get their wisdom from television or secular means. Even Christian women can buy into the world's "wisdom", which has crept into the church so very imperceptibly. James 3 tells us that the wisdom that comes down from heaven is first of all pure, then gentle, peaceable, submissive, merciful, and kind. It is straightforward and sincere. Pray with me, "Lord, You are the Truth and the Life. As I search for wisdom I don't want to waste time looking in the wrong places. I don't want to be deceived by the latest fads, even within the church. So I ask You to place godly teachers, counselors, and resources in my path that I might not be led astray by foolishness."
#6. Do what you know to do. How many times does God bring that name of someone to your mind who you should call to encourage or pray for? How many times have you told yourself, "I just don't have the time right now"? My friend Cindy says, "Obedience leads me to the heart of God." Scripture says, "Discipline yourself for godliness." Join me in deciding to go to bed earlier and get up earlier. To die to every selfish notion and obey that still small Voice that speaks your marching orders for the day. Pray, "Lord, You know how weak I am. You know my misplaced priorities and my stubborn rebellion concerning Your call on my life. I am asking that by Your grace You will empower me to do Your will today. I am determined to throw off every weight that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and run with endurance the race You have set out for me. I praise You for what You will accomplish in my life today."
#7. Confess yesterday's sins and let God forgive you. Have you ever gone through a room full of clutter and tossed half of it? Remember how you sensed a load had been lifted right off your shoulders? You had a freedom you didn't know possible. The fact is, "He who knows the good he ought to do and does not do it, to him it is sin." (That convicting book of James again!) If you feel paralyzed it may be because you have not confessed these things as sin and repented of them. God promises, on His faithful character, to forgive your sins if you confess them. Join me in a fresh commitment to live in the grace of God's complete forgiveness for the sins of the past. Pray, "Lord, I have allowed my sin to perpetually offend You and cripple me. I confess ___________ and _________ to stand in my way of pursuing the life of wisdom. Forgive me, Lord. By faith I receive Your forgiveness and I refuse to listen to the enemy's reminder of that sin again." (I John 1:9)
#8. Be filled with the Holy Spirit. This is accomplished by letting the Word of Christ dwell in you richly. (See Ephesians 5:18-6:9 and Colossians 3:16-25). We can learn a lot of verses, or "have all knowledge", but it's this "Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly" that God commands. David said, "I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You." Notice it isn't hiding it in the head, but letting it sink down into the heart where the passions lie. You might feel incapable of putting large chunks of scripture to memory. Or it may come easily to you. But in the end, it's the obedience of it that really matters. James says, "Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." I have plenty of friends who swear they simply cannot memorize scripture, but in my eyes (and I would venture to say in God's) they've memorized it far better than me, because after they hear it, they simply do what it says.
The bottom line is that we need constant exposure to and filling of the Word to be fully in step with the Spirit, not just checking it off a list, but putting it into practice. We need to long for it to do its work in the inner man. Jesus said, "Out of the heart the mouth speaks." When the Word/ the Spirit fills you - fills your heart - you can only speak those things that honor God, for when you are filled with Him, your desires are His desires.
And might you fail again? This truly is our Perpetual Mortal Struggle - wanting to do right, but procrastinating with it, or rebelling against it altogether. The comfort is that even this temptation is common to man. (I Corinthians 10:31) The apostle Paul himself, known for his determination to discipline himself, responded like this when his self-discipline failed him: "The good that I wish, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not wish..." In despair, he cries out, "Wretched man that I am, Who will set me free from the body of this death?" But then in a burst of praise, as if suddenly remembering that he has just been handed the keys out of his prison cell, "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" He then goes on to talk about "no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus", because in Him we are set free from the law of sin and death. As we walk in the Spirit we won't fulfill the desires of the flesh. But if we fall, we respond with both confession and thanksgiving - not discouragement. What a precious truth! Even my disobedience leads me back to the cross, where I find an abundance of forgiveness and the courage to keep fighting. So pray with me, "Lord, I choose to fill my mind with the Word. Fill me with the Spirit, Who will bring life to that Word, transforming me by the renewing of my mind. You alone can change me, and I am willing."
People can change, and so can you. Look at the apostle Peter. He denied he even knew Jesus, but later went on to lead the fledgling Church, and eventually died for Christ. Proud Paul persecuted the church, but later was her greatest hero, humbly serving Jesus to the very end. Look at John Mark, deemed unworthy to travel with Paul at one point, but "useful" to him later on. Scripture is filled with changed people. God is for your change, even more than you are. And though the enemy would like to put up roadblocks in the path, making us believe we are beyond hope, God continues to remind us in His unchanging Word that "in Christ" we are already new creatures, and that He has given us "everything we need for life and godliness."
As we move ahead in 2009, we hear the echoes of "change" around us. But all real change is not imposed from the outside, but from the inside of man. I hope my ramblings this month are more than insights, and that you will take courage with me, in the power of the Spirit, to pursue the change you long for, and for the glory of God.
Jacqui
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment